« Home | Taipei 101 » | Taipei Palace Museum » | Crazy Taxi » | More beach photos » | Hit the beach » | Typhoon Shanshan » | One more week » | Chopstix » | Party!! » | More street pics »

Today's lunch

I figured I'd take a picture of what your average Chinese Take-Out(In) looks like. Today's dish is beef and onions with spices over a healthy bed of sticky rice. Why sticky rice? Because it's the only kind you can eat with chopsticks. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why it was invented. Yes, I'm saying that the Chinese invented a new type of food to adapt to chopsticks rather than change their eating utensils. I'm probably wrong, but I'm sticking with my theory.

Back to lunch... along the top row from left to right, there's mushrooms with peppers, green beans and some sort of meat I can't identify, and I have no idea what's in the top right. Some sort of veggie with another unidentifiable meat. But, it all tastes super delicious. I have this meal at least twice a week and I'll actually miss it when I leave.

The cup is a water-based soup with onion cubes and other veggies and spices. Not too bad.

Usually, when I have this particular meal it's all the same, but once they offered me a choice of meat - either beef, chicken, or "ink fish." Ink Fish? I thought about it for a second and realized he as talking about squid. Of course, that's what I had. :) Calamari is quite tasty for those who have never tried it. They fry it here, but without the batter. I think it tastes better that way.